HISTORY OF BISHOPS SENIOR SCHOOL MUKONO
The idea of starting Bishop’s senior school in mukono come from the CMS missionaries ,the chief Mr.Hamu Mukasa ,the ssekiboobo of kyagwe and Sir Apollo kaggwa ,katikiro of Buganda. Bishop’s ss Mukono was developed out of a small village school started by miss Hill to teach reading writing and Handcraft. On 8th September 1910 the Rt.Rev.A.R Tucker ,the Principle of Bishop Tucker Theological Collage now Uganda Christian University ,formally opened the school of the Bishop and was was named Bishop’s school. At the beginning, Bishop’s school was for boys only and it started with 35 students. In 1940 the head master Mr.Nkata Mukasa gave the school its Motto “love and Work”. It was an elementary school and those who wanted to continue with their studies could only do so by going to Buddo.
The starting of two senior classes in 1958 changed the situation.These classes were opened on a private venture on the initiative of the headmaster , Mr.Thomas A.K.Makumbi,who was a techer of Bishop’s West primary School and the parents of Bishop’s school ,Without government Aid. Mr.Makumbi was innovative and far sighted person. He realized that it was important to have a secondary school in area so he started Bishop’s senior school in 1958. A hostel for Boys was also started, begining with the use of a classroom which accommodated about 25 pupils.
For a long time the school survived without government aid .Financial support come from the pupils fees (originally Sh.270 per year for day pupils ),parents contribution and donations from overseas.
In 1960, the government took over under the supervision of the church of Uganda but the under Namirembe Diocese . The new senior section shared the admnistration ,teachers and houses with the junior school. Most of the students in the senior section come from the existing junior schools like Kako, Ndejje , Mengo etc. Teachers of the junior school helped in some classes but the senior school depended largely on teachers of Bishop Tucker Theological college, students from high school and later some from abroad who were volunteers as a result the teaching Staff was very temporary.
1n 1962 the former Buganda government gave partial aid supplied on the basis of monthly grants ,but still lack of accommodation increased the shortage of teachers and from this there was a students’ riot in 1964. As aresult, the urgency for speeding up development plans thus was felt more strongly. That same year (1964) senior section acquired an independent Board of Governors and in 1965 anew head teacher , Mr.W.GSilk was appointed.
In 1968 it become increasingly necessary to separate the administration and find a new site for future developments.
Mr. silk wanted the school to have an agriculture bais , and he proposed that the school should be taken to Ntaawo near the district farm institute but the board of governor decided against this since the school will loose its original identity.30 acres of land were acquired from the church of Uganda on present site which was then occupied by primary girl’s school and for it shifted to Ggulu hill in mukono.
Bishops senior on its site was established in 1966 and Uganda government offered full aids. In 1969-1970 the Uganda government through world bank Aid for international Development project provided new buildings. These included the staff Quarters of fourteen self-contained houses, dining hall and four laboratories for chemistry, physics, biology and Foods and Nutrition. Other building including Technical drawing /woodwork workshop, library, administration block,staff room and sixteen classroom and toilet.Upto date these buildings are in existance and in good shape.
Since its genesis Bishops senior school has had ten head teachers.
1 .Mr.Thomas A.K .Makumbi- private head teacher
2 . Mr.W.G.Silk who was a European posted by the government in (1965-1970)
3. Mr.Luwaga guster(1970-1972) was posted following the expulsion of Asians
4.Mr.Gashegu Aighe (1975-1980)
5.Mr. luwaga guster came back for another kisanja between (1980-1985).
6.Mr.Kasajja George William(1985-1995) who unfortunately died while heading the school.
A power vacuum followed and so the deputy ,Mr.Katongole was requested to take over for some time.sadly Mr.katongole also Died because he was already weak.
7.Mr.Kaddu Jorum (1996-2001) who was later transferd to jinja senior secondary school
8.Mr.Ganatusanga wakataama (2001-2006)
9.Mr.ssentongo Gofrey Sempa (2007-2015) current head teacher Lubiri secondary school.
10.Mr.kyakulaga Robert up to- date